Friday, October 30, 2009

Maafa Commemoration Month Poetry Reading

On October 17 at Mo'Joes in Berkeley Asha Brundage hosted a poetry reading. Here are poems her mother, Karla Brundage, shared that afternoon.

We will add more as they are sent.









A Shape Shifter
By Karla Brundage

On the eve of the inauguration of Barack Obama 44th president of the United States

He arrives in light filled dreams
Speaking of hope
Spirits of the past echoing
Voices of ancestors humming we shall overcome.
He stands
Shimmering black
Sometimes white
Projecting light
Casting shadows.
From the depth of my unconscious
The dream calls out to me
Awakens my sorrow in its hope
Calls forth all past injustices
In the quest for justice
Tests my faith
The dream dancer
Calls himself hope
And I respond.
A shackle unclasped
I step forward into daylight.

Not yet Named- Calling for Peace-
by Karla Brundage

Peace is my wish
On my block
Extending out to the world
In a pollen covered pistil
Blossoming new ideas
Unfurling a small bud
Projecting its fantasm
Destruction of ego
Through power of love.


My Hope

by Karla Brundage
My hope for you
Is peace
A current- a torrent
Of open hearted dialogue
A surgery
Of sorts
To repair the egos
Unleashed in
The chaos of war
How to find and tame them
How to conquer the dragon of violence
Lose amidst us.


Grace

by Karla Brundage
What if the weapon were a transformer
To transform hate to love
And anger to forgiveness
What if it were that simple
To put down the cell phone
And listen to the heart
Beating there next to you
To look into the eye
Of that man-captured on tape
Is he begging for mercy?
Can you find it in your heart to give it?

No comments: